up on the watershed

Monday, May 23, 2005

throw it to first, throw it to first!

My softball team is the losingest softball team in history.

You didn't know I played softball, did you? On a very technical level, I'm not sure that signing up for a rec league for the entirety of one summer, after not having played for eight years really constitutes "playing softball." Plus, I'm playing right field forevermore. For you non-softball afficianados, this means that the ball comes my way an average of once per game, so far. It's best this way, trust me.

We've got some stand out players, we really truly do. And our first game, though we lost, showed real promise. It's too bad we haven't scored a run since then. Oops.

But hot damn, do I have fun. Blahblah corporate speak blahblah team work blahblah. No. Nothing you ever do at your job will ever compare to the fun times you have playing on a team with other folks. The women I play with are fun and funny and talented. I have taken on the unofficial role of team cheerleader, owing to the fact that, you know, standing out there in RF I have nothing better to do. It is FUN to cheer people on and congratulate them when they make great plays. It is FUN to encourage people after they make bad plays. It's all in the name of fun.

I'm still terrified every time I have to be on the field, though. I pray the ball won't come my way, but I'm usually ready if it does. I'm good for a single when I'm up to bat, but half the time it's at the expense of one of the other runners. Yeah. You could say I'm little terrified to be out there again..but I'm still havin' fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home