up on the watershed

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

bullseye

You know, this whole putting my money where my mouth is/living my values/walking the talk thing is getting more difficult by the day. First, one of the stores where I routinely grocery shop here in Tucson was in the news last month because one of its pharmacists refused to fill a Plan B prescription. The girl had allegedly been a victim of sexual assault and went to this Fry's to fill her EC 'scrip. She was turned away without any referral or recourse. Now, Target has instructed its pharmacists that they are allowed to refuse an EC or BCP prescription as long as they refer the patient to another Target pharmacy or hand her to a different pharmacist. UNACCEPTABLE. Why should a legal request be denied at the hands of someone's moral beliefs? I don't get it. I'm pretty much over the discussion about not forcing pharmacists to do what they believe is morally wrong. So all I want to say is: you're not swallowing that pill, my friend. If you're so convinced God is gonna strike, don't you think S/He'd strike the person taking the pill?

Anyway, I want to know where I should be buying my toothpaste and toilet paper now. People, at this rate, we will need to start harvesting the leaves in our YARDS just to have some sort of material with which to wipe our asses that isn't tainted with stupid business practices, red money, and discriminatory employment. GAH.