up on the watershed

Sunday, May 11, 2008

yellow roses for mom

Well. I don't have a lot to say about today, except that it is the first Mother's Day in my entire life that I have neither a grandmother nor a mother to call or visit with. Last year at this time, I still had both of them and even got to spend Mother's Day with my mom in Tucson over the graduation weekend, which may have been one of the best gifts we've ever given each other (despite the fact that she drove me crazy for a lot of the trip). It's true that I will be making some calls to my Other Moms to wish them a good day, but it's obviously not the same.

The reality of this hit me while I was in Vegas last week, doing some deep thinking, some of which may eventually make it onto this blog. I don't have a lot of time to feel sorry for myself today, though, as I am doing what I know best to honor them both. My mother and my grandmother were consummate hostesses, in very different ways, and so I am spending my day preparing food for the bridal shower my friend Aliya and I are throwing for our friend Lindsay tomorrow evening. Using the cooking and menu planning skills my mother taught me, and taking some lessons on hostessing from my grandmother, is the best way I know how to remember them today.

My grandmother loved flowers and plants, and my mom especially loved yellow roses. I have only ever bought yellow roses for one purpose--to give to my mom on Mother's Day. I bought these this year in memory of her:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home