up on the watershed

Friday, March 07, 2008

We landed in Boise under the cover of darkness last night and so, when I stepped outside this morning and glimpsed mountains for the first time in nearly 9 months, I broke into a huge grin and simultaneous tears. They weren't my beloved Catalinas, of course, but mountains, for better or worse, are the only thing, experience, or person that has ever humbled me. I say this as a woman who has never met an ocean, in whole or part, though I imagine it may have a similar effect. I'll let you know in June after I've been to the Mediterranean.

5 Comments:

  • At Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woooooaaaah, you haven't seen an ocean yet? Honestly, I think the mountains are much more awe-inspiring. But oceans are pretty neat, too. I am envious of your Mediterranean plans!! We need to talk soon. Love you.

     
  • At Saturday, March 08, 2008 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Cossey said…

    You've never met an ocean? Amazing! And the only one I've had any dealings with is the Atlantic. She's pretty big... but I think you'll be impressed by the Mediterranean.

     
  • At Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:17:00 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    I've seen a few oceans from the shore, and they're all beautiful and unfathomable. But seeing the ocean from the middle of it on a cruise ship was one of the most astounding experiences of my life. Contemplating its vast depths and seeing no land for miles in any direction was truly incredible.

     
  • At Sunday, March 09, 2008 9:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am an ocean girl. The mountains are cool, but the ocean is so vast and awe-inspriring and mysterious. I'm so excited for all of your fun travelling!

     
  • At Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:04:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The Pacific ocean is my best friend in California.
    Your traveling sounds amazing. Where all are you going?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home