up on the watershed

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I, of course, picked the hottest day of the year (so far) to move and ship all of my worldly belongings. The projected high was supposed to be 109, but I have no idea what the actual high was except So Searingly Hot That My Seatbelt Burned My Fingers.

I took 10 boxes to UPS and 250 pounds of books to the Post Office. The lady at the post office was pretty surly at first--apparently she had a back injury awhile ago and can't lift much (I have some sympathy for that, but all it took was asking one of her co-workers to do the lifting for her and besides, I am fairly certain that her job description probably requires her to be able to lift as much as they will ship). She wasn't thrilled to get me as a customer and interrogated me as to the contents of the packages (I sent them Media Mail, the cheapest way I know how). When I told her that they were all books (slight lie, but it is all media--books, CDs and magazines) she looked incredulous that someone would have five! whole! boxes! of! books! They were stamped with "MEDIA MAIL (pending inspection)." I wonder how they inspect? X-ray?

At any rate, I apologized to my body by getting a pedicure later in the afternoon. Now if only the rest of my house would magically pack itself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home