up on the watershed

Saturday, January 19, 2008

hello, my name is awkward

I can't recall if I've mentioned it here, but one of the things that has been hardest about my transition to small town life is the total lack of anonymity, and in many cases, privacy and the increase in odd social connections. I have been slowly getting acclimated to the idea that yes, I will undoubtedly run into someone I know when I am at CVS buying tampons, or shopping in the grocery store, and that the hostess at my favorite restaurant also works for me, in a way, at the university. But nothing really prepared me for yesterday, when I was idly checking in at my grief counselor's office (in a larger office that sees all sorts of mental health patients, from family therapy to substance abuse and all the stuff in between) and a much more senior, though not immediate, co-worker walked out of the office area and into the waiting room to leave. I didn't even recognize this co-worker at first, that's how strange it was to me to be seeing someone I knew in that setting. My co-worker definitely recognized me and looked slightly embarrassed, but I was staring right past because I could not get it into my head that someone FROM WORK was EXITING the MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY I was at. Even more awkward is that the sign-in sheet confirmed that this co-worker sees my same psychologist. I sort of wanted to mention to her when we met a few minutes later that wow, that was weird, kinda like the time I saw her in the Mexican restaurant at lunch and then had an appointment a couple hours later, but spared her the patient confidentiality issues.

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blah. I would HATE it if I saw someone I knew at my therapist's office in the waiting room or something.

    I'm guessing your therapist would thank you, if she could, for sparing her the patient confidentiality issues.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home