up on the watershed

Saturday, September 27, 2008

random and (mostly) unrelated thoughts

There comes a point nearly every day at which the headlights on my car are at once necessary and useless. This dualism, and it only lasts for a few moments, is usually around the time the sun has set so low as not to be visible anymore, but not so low that it isn't doing its best to give off its last bits of light to the world around me. The world, then, is still illuminated, so the lights on my car do not seem to light my way. And yet, the illumination is waning strongly enough that the lights are necessary to indicate to oncoming cars that I am, indeed, present.

***

I listened to a fairly famous author speak recently and she explained that in her memoir she had purposefully made her mother into a sort of vague, enigmatic character, because her mother is still alive and objected to her telling the story of their family home. Conversely, she was able to tell the truth of her father, who is now deceased. A student asked her if we would have to wait for her mother to die to learn the truth of her. People gasped all around me, but the author was non-plussed.

She supposed yes. You know, she said, that's really the horrible thing about being a writer.

I nodded vigorously.

***

Premise 1: Pretty much everyone is crazy, in one way or another.

Premise 2: The key, then, to finding a suitable long term partner is to find someone who A) can tolerate your crazy OR B) whose crazy matches your own.

Discuss.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home