up on the watershed

Friday, June 09, 2006

when it rains

So much news! First, I was hired to teach classes this summer, one of which I declined to teach so that I could go to Madison and Milwaukee right after my semester ended. The other started on Monday and I've known for several weeks that I'd probably have to cancel it because of low enrollment. I would have gladly taught the class with 4 or 5 students (though I wouldn't make much money and it'd be a weird experience), but only 2 showed up on Monday. They were, get this, a student wanting to retake the glass to get a better grade and a visiting student from Cornell. University. You know, the one in New York? Riiiiiight. So they were unequally yoked and Cornell decided she didn't want to do an independent study type environment, so I canceled the class.

This was tres disappointing because at this point in the summer, I am utterly and totally bored. I have things to do, sure, but they require an enormous amount of self motivation and I frankly do not have that right now. So I was really looking forward to leaving my house every day, making lesson plans, writing lectures and yes, even grading. Plus, the whole reason I'm in graduate school is so that I can teach college level classes eventually and I've been looking forward to teaching this summer since long before I got here last August. So, yeah, canceling the class was a major disappointment, but I'd had weeks to warm up to the idea.

I applied to a paid internship at a well known organization that might rhyme with Mamerican Mancer Mociety on Monday morning, had an interview on Tuesday and got word that, as long as those pesky allegations of workplace violence and fraud don't resurface during my background check, the job's mine. It's pretty much right up my alley in terms of skills and jobs I've held before--I'll be recruiting people from local small businesses to get involved with fundraising and participating in the org's October breast cancer awareness walk. And for an internship, it pays really well AND it's half time, which will leave me plenty of time to do my research. So I'm pretty excited about that, and of course, the getting out of my house business.

We head to Oakland next weekend for the NWSA conference. I'm ridiculously excited because I am, if nothing else, a total feminist dork. Plus, I'm going with 2 of my favorite people and we're bound to have a super fun time in between sessions and in our down time.

That's all I got for now. Maybe more later.

1 Comments:

  • At Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:14:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Holy shit! Two postings in as many days! I can't handle it!

    Congrats on the job with the flamerican fancer fociety. But you know, you always could have worked on your portfolio this summer... bygones.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home