up on the watershed

Friday, December 01, 2006

it is december 1st. wow.

I (perhaps unwisely) signed up to do Holidailies this year. For the uninitiated, this means that I made a solemn vow to update this blog every day in December. I plan to keep this vow. Except on the days that eating holiday goodies or going shopping or writing my thesis or cuddling seems like a better idea.

At any rate, we're heading into the final week of classes. I have one semi-intimidating take home final to write next week, a teaching portfolio to construct, and the introductory chapter of my thesis to clean up. And a billion interviews to transcribe for my advisor. And 20-something finals to grade eventually. It's all spaced out pretty well, so I'm not too concerned about the work getting done, though it'd probably do me some good to scare myself into, you know, caring about it.

Today I had my students given presentations and/or skits about various articles on the po1itics of feta1 harm, e.g. the new pre-pregnancy guidelines, the fact that crack has no discernible effects on fetuses (yes, really!), etc. One of the groups did a skit meant to imitate the trial of a pregnant woman who does crack. They introduced themselves as the prosecutor, defense, judge, crack mama, etc. and then the only male in the group introduced himself as the "baby daddy." I love pop culture.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home