up on the watershed

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

monument-al

So my dad and I finally picked out a gravestone for his and mom's dual plot yesterday. We got a double header (heh) and it was generally easy and not at all stressful (though there were a lot of decisions to be made). Dad kept deferring to me because I'm "the one who will have to look at it for the rest of my life."

However, just as we had settled on the design of the monument (as they are called) he said, "Oh, now we just need to add a cross."

"A cross? You want a cross on there?"

"Yes."

Now let me pause and explain that my parents were never terribly religious people and did not raise me in any particular faith, though they identify themselves most strongly with Catholicism and in the past 2 years began attending services regularly again. I am their agnostic who prays or whatever, and the subject of religion has never been a big deal before--we all seem to live and let live. My dad, in particular, has never been judgmental of my faith or lack thereof.

"Really? Um, but I thought you said I'd be the one who has to look at this the rest of my life."

"All the better!"

Hilarious.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home