up on the watershed

Thursday, December 22, 2005

My perfect day begins somewhere around 9:30, in my perfect bed under a perfect down comforter my mom bought to keep me warm in my not-so-perfectly insulated bedroom. I have finally embraced break and slept later than is really necessary, sans alarm. I read in bed for awhile, working on In Her Shoes and finally succumb to the call of breakfast and putter around downstairs.

An hour or so later, I take my time showering, doing my hair and makeup and pick my outfit carefully, because it has to cover at least three different social occasions and I am not sure when I'll be back. I hop online, chat with a few people, one in particular who leaves me laughing and smiling, and figure I have about an hour before I meet my baby cousin for lunch at the mall. I grab mom's car keys and head towards the mecca. My phone beeps a few times as I'm parking, but I figure it's someone I can talk to later, so I head inside the store without checking it. I am here to buy the perfect winter coat.

Instead, I find the perfect leather jacket, a near replica of the one I gave away this summer and it is, of course, the perfect price. My phone rings and it's my cousin, who wants to know where I am and why I am a half hour late. Oops. I was on Arizona time at home and don't have time for shopping after all. We meet, hug and hurriedly put the leather jacket on hold, so I can think about it.

We have a perfectly delightful lunch on the west side. Good conversation, plenty of laughter, lots of familiarity. When it is over, I ask her what she is doing--I have no plans til 6 and she suggests we go to her house and bake cookies. The perfect plan.

Awhile later, I arrive at my aunt and uncle's house, the only structure that feels nearly as close to home as my own parents' and I greet my aunt, who is happy to see me. The three of us hang out, chatting and laughing and my uncle comes up. He pokes me and says "Hey, kid. How ya doin'?" The four of us chat some more and Jessie and I retire to the kitchen to do some baking. Her boyfriend joins us later to decorate and we laugh easily, all of us happy to be where we are.

I dart out at quarter to six to meet some friends for dinner. They are late, but it's no problem--I am just happy to see them. We settle in and wait for our fourth and when she appears, we chat over our breakfasts-for-dinner, trading stories and gossip. We part with hugs and gifts and I am racing back to the west side to drop something off for mom.

I dial Matt and we decide to meet up at his place when I'm done with my errand. I dash into the house, drop stuff off for mom, touch up, and head back to the car. A quick drive later, I'm at his complex, using "Jason's Door" per his instructions. I greet him and his new girlfriend, Courtney. We spend several hours lounging around and laughing--Courtney pumps me for dirt and information and we share a mutual laugh at Matt's nervousness. In all, a lovely evening of friends new and old.

Yeah. A perfect day might go something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home