up on the watershed

Monday, December 04, 2006

friend to children, part three

All this to say there's a new child in my life and I clearly couldn't be more thrilled:

DSC01004

My cousin Hannah Elizabeth was born 6 weeks prematurely on October 21, weighing just under 5 pounds. She is undoubtedly the tiniest baby I've ever held and thankfully escaped any and all issues associated with prematurity. She's as healthy as can be, and beautiful to boot. No babies have been born on the Inaz side of the family for well over 23 years. Chances are good that Hannah will socialize with and grow up alongside any children her cousins have.

I have so many hopes and dreams for this little girl, it's ridiculous. I want her to grow up knowing she is loved and that her family will always, always be there for her. I want her always to feel comfortable in her own skin, secure in knowing that she is a gorgeous girl. I want her days to be filled with laughter and beautiful words and warm memories. I want her to be independent, and have strong, healthy relationships with other people. I want her to be curious about her world and able to ask difficult questions. I want her always to feel at peace and to feel as though she has a place in this world. I want her to be kind to others and accepting of difference. I don't want her to feel she has a role to fill merely because of her gender. Knowing the family she was born into, these things will not always come easy to her, but we'll do the best we can.

So here's to you, baby girl. I promise to always be a friend to you.

DSC01009

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh she's sweet!

    Soon enough she'll be using her independent voice to ask if she please may borrow your cell phone. And also tell you that her Ariel shoes and lipstick are too cutie. Believe me, I know. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home