up on the watershed

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

go shorty

I think there's something about Lauryn that you can't capture in words, or in pixels. Google tries anyway, and so will I. Lauryn is:
  • a lyrical genius.

  • an affectionate child who enjoys a warm relationship with her carers.

  • not the only person who has looked terrible after a spiritual war.

  • such an inspiration.

  • really bothered by the seat now.

My roommate is one of my dearest friends. When I think about the gamble we took in living with each other--both essentially totally unknown quantities to each other--lo these 16 months ago, I thank my lucky stars that I landed with her at Casa 921. She is one of the kindest, most considerate, supportive and real people I know.

Lauryn makes up songs when she is happy, and she makes up songs when she is upset. They might be about our coursework, or her beloved Virginia Woolf, or the janky ferals that live in our yard, or our crazy landlady, or they might just be odes to PB&J or Kashi. She picks up phrases (Kelly, FYO has made its way to Arizona, and soon Long Island) effortlessly and seems to construct sentences even more so. She is a gifted writer, dedicated to her craft, and we could all stand to learn a little more patience with our words from her.

I think Lauryn has seen me cry more than any other friend I have, and that's saying a lot considering the years of friendship I have with some of you (or maybe it's saying a lot about the year and a half I've been in Tucson). She has watched me throw my phone to the ground in anger, and cry out in anguished sobs, only to pick up the pieces and bring them to me, asking what is wrong when it seemed like I might be breathing again. She has, time and time again, listened to me talk about my life, loves, and loved ones without judgment and without condemnation. She understands, more than anyone else I know, about the difficulty of family and when I cried at a wedding we attended together, she knew why. Lauryn is the kind of friend who will give you breathing room and the space to make your own decisions, but will always, always let you know that there's a spot on her bed for you if you want to talk. In other words, she is the ideal kind of friend.

She and I are sisters in the bond of dumb gyno issues, inconvenient body hair, Dawson's Creek, Big Brother, spinach & artichoke dip, the hottness, feminism, red, red wine, Soleil, steaming vegetables, a good burger, Hollaback Girl, a hearty laugh, chick folk rock, and a meaningful hug.

Happy 25th Birthday, Lauryn Lou. I love you and wish you all the laughter, contemplation, good sex, and amazing food you can handle in the coming years. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for everything.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again (which will be in approximately 1 hour for your birthday dinner) and forevermore,
may you rock the hizzouse to its very foundations.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home