up on the watershed

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

on grandmas

Our friends and family have formed a care team to support my parents as my mom continues to undergo chemo, which is so incredibly amazing and touching, I can't even express my gratitude. She's doing pretty well, all things considered, but is often exhausted and after treatment, is wiped out for a day or two. She's hesitant to drive much because of the exhaustion and the pain meds she's on, so she needs some help getting the activities of daily living (cleaning, shopping, errands, laundry, etc) she's used to doing done, as my dad's mobility is still somewhat limited from the stroke he had a couple years ago.

The structure of the team is such that anyone who volunteers does so willingly and only signs up to do things they want/can do. So someone who hates, hates, hates grocery shopping doesn't need to volunteer to do that whereas someone who gets all zen about laundry can take that on. Part of the organizational process is asking everyone what they're good at and if they have any special skills.

Conspiracy theory Grandma is on the team, even though her own mobility is limited and her memory's not so sharp anymore. She wants to help and I think that's terrific. If I had to pick two non-personality related things to characterize my grandmother, it'd be that her house is littered with mail order catalogues (from which she orders frequently) and that she is always singing and takes great pride in her voice. Listed on the spreadsheet for the team? Her special skills? You got it. Singing and ordering from catalogues. God love her.

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mom's three rounds into six rounds of chemo back in the Midwest with me also in Arizona. When I talked to her today, she brought up her cabin fever. Fortunately, she also has a great support network of sisters and friends and someone visits almost every day with additional supplies for her.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL, I didn't realize she'd done that on her sheet; I didn't read so closely!

    Sadly, when she came to sing at our senior center, her voice was NOT what it used to be. It was pretty weak and frail sounding and not in too good a shape. :( Poor Grandma, she realized it, too.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your grandma sounds awesome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home